Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pinning It Down {7} Dryer Fire Safety

Click to see more!
OK, again, I wasn't planning on joining in this week, but when I saw this come up on Pinterest, this morning, well... I was kind of freaked out. Fire safety is something that I pay attention too. But especially fire safety advice that comes from a professional firefighter mom!

So, I pinned this link via Alice Cantrell to my "For the Home" board and immediately went to go clean my lint trap. I was fairly certain it needed to be cleaned. My kids do not always remember to clean it out after each load.
I was surprised that it wasn't as bad as I expected, but some definite beading action meant it needed to be washed.

I also pried up to top as recommended using the back of a spoon, no screwdriver necessary and discovered that things weren't as bad as I thought either underneath.

FYI... I did have to remove these two screws from the lint trap area in order to get the top open. Just in case your dryer is the same as mine.

There, now I feel better! Thanks Pinterest and the firefighter mom



  1. Ooooh. I should do this. I could just add it to the list of nesting projects, seeing as it looks like I have plenty more time to... well, nest.

  2. Interesting. I need to add this to the spring clean.

  3. Huh cool. I'll have to check that out. However our washer/dryer are stacked...don't know if I can pull my lid up. I'll just have to see about that one. Thanks!

  4. Ooh! I should look into this too. My mom keeps saying my lint trap is a fire hazard and I can't fathom why. I'll be sure to pin the link.

  5. I once had a dryer causing me trouble so dh decided to clean the lint trap. It turned out one of my children had shoved my checkbook down into it. Talk about our bank account going up in smoke...

  6. From experience, cleaning out the dryer is an absolute must!! Our dryer caught on fire last summer. Luckily, we were home and smelled the smoke. I walked into the garage to a thick cloud of smoke and both the dryer and washing machine burned to a crisp! It was super scary. My hubby is a safety first kind of guy, so he had fire extinguishers at the entry of the garage. Ready for me to use for this type of emergency.

    The firefighters that came to the house said that dryers are the leading cause of house fires. I never knew that. Do now though.

    Check your lint trays and under your dryers, ladies.

  7. After our last dryer caught on fire, we were told to take the back off of the dryer once a year and completely remove the lint trap housing. We have done this twice now and the amount of lint in the housing and in the back of the dryer is huge. You need to remove a bunch of screws from the back of the dryer and the two from the lint trap itself.

    Our last dryer most likely caught on fire due to the lint and a Knex that had made its way through the dryer holes and wedged itself in the fan. Thankfully, I was able to turn off the dryer and extinguish the fire immediately.


Thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself!