This weekend, we decided to get a third bed for Cupcake and I got to try out my plans.
First, I picked out a pretty leaf trim and cut (three 17" strips and one longer 37.25" strip) and glued them to the three center slats and along the top rail. We decided on just the top and the slats and not all the way around because we didn't want it to look too fussy. Plus, we didn't want to have to worry about mitering any corners. (Read... lazy!)
|Ignore ugly garage floor and drop cloth.|
Husband used liquid nails and tape to secure the trim while it set over night.
We wanted Cupcake's headboard to have a backing although the big girls say they'd like theirs open. I had the very helpful people at Lowe's cut this 1/4 plywood panel to 40" wide and it was supposed to be 20" long but their saw shorted out. We left it the size it was and just cut the notches at the bottom to make room for the bolts that attach the headboard to the rails.
When the glue was set, I painted everything including the rails and the footboard (not pictured) and we used some small nails to attach the back panel to the headboard.
Detail of the trim (painted)
And now we only have two more to go!